Reviewing the Medik MediaWiki Skin
Last updated on 2021-03-23. Written by Karsten Hoffmeyer
Medik is one of my top mobile and responsive skins for MediaWiki.
The Medik skin to MediaWiki is a newcomer and currently not widely used for wikis powered by MediaWiki. However I expect this to change fast once it is more commonly known. This skin is definitively to be taken seriously and a great choice for wikis that would like to get started fast with really good results.
The Medik skin to MediaWiki is indeed my personal favorite as a mobile and responsive skin. This is due to the following reasons:
- Clean and simple look and feel
- Choice of four different standard column layouts for wide screens
- Easily adaptable with only a few configuration settings
- Full power of the basic Bootstrap 4 framework, easily extendible with more components
- Effortless installation using standard processes
- Supporting a wide range both of MediaWiki versions (1.29+) and PHP versions (7.0+)
The Medik skin serves a fixed layout in four variants to choose from for the arrangement of the columns building the mobile friendly structure of the wiki. The layout is like the Pivot skin resembling that of the established classic Vector and Monobook skins with a sidebar on the left side of the screen. The user menu is located in the very right of the top bar. The editing, the actions and the tools menu are merged together and are located on the top left of the content area.
Petr Kajzar developed the Medik skin in 2019 originally for a medical project wiki of the Charles University (Czech Republic) and it was first released in May that year. It uses the most recent version 4 of the Bootstrap framework developed by Twitter.
The Medik skin can easily be extended with support for Font Awesome (v5.11.2) and Bootstrap components such as accordions, modals or popups and many more.
The skin’s documentation is accessible via it's page on mediawiki.org.
Medik is a great skin for starters, however not exclusively. Au contraire! If you are looking for a mobile and responsive layout that resembles the layout of the Vector or the MonoBook skin and you just want to do a couple of configuration changes, then this skin is your pick.
Example sites using the Medik skin
Check out my other favourite mobile and responsive MediaWiki skins.
Note that all of Professional.Wiki’s hosting plans offer the Medik skin for MediaWiki covered by this blog post. Also professional support is available to help you get the most out of your wiki. We will be very happy to assist you and make a difference for you!
- Best Responsive MediaWiki Skins
- Medik MediaWiki Skin
- Happy 20th Anniversary Wikipedia
- Semantic MediaWiki 3.2
- Local Media Support for Wikibase
- Chameleon MediaWiki Skin
- Foreground MediaWiki Skin
- Pivot MediaWiki Skin
- Tweeki MediaWiki Skin
- Semantic Wikibase Released
- Visualizing Links Between Pages
- MediaWiki Survey
- SMW vs Wikibase vs Cargo
- Using Wikidata in Your Wiki
- Visual Map Editor for MediaWiki
- WikidataCon 2019 Berlin
- Installing Extensions with Composer
- SMWCon 2019 Paris