Semantic MediaWiki 4.1.0 released
Posted on 2023-01-21 by Jeroen De Dauw
We released Semantic MediaWiki 4.1. Learn what changes it brings.
As maintainers of Semantic MediaWiki (SMW), we are responsible for releasing new versions. Today we released version 4.1, the 65th release of SMW. This release follows SMW 4.0.2, which was released on July 21st 2022.
Semantic MediaWiki 4.1 is a minor release. It contains new features, improvements, and bug fixes. Because it is a minor release, it does not contain any breaking changes, does not require running the update.php script, and does not drop support for older versions of MediaWiki.
- Improved compatibility with MediaWiki 1.38 and 1.39
- Improved compatibility with PHP 8.1 (not complete yet)
- Fixed type error occurring during specific number formatting on PHP 8.0+
- Fixed bug causing the job queue to be flooded with jobs
- Fixed issue with the pipe character in the Ask API
rebuildData.phpissue for the
- Fixed issue in the category result format
- Fixed upsert warning log spam
- Added user preference that allows enabling or disabling the entity issue panel
- Added support for partial ISO dates
- SMW now ships with updated vocabularies including Schema.org, Dublin Core, FOAF and SKOS
- Various grammar and spelling fixes
- Translation updates
Over 20 people contributed to this release. We would like to thank all contributors.
We recommend that everyone running older versions of SMW upgrades. Especially if you are running SMW 4.0.1 or older, as these versions contain a known security vulnerability.
No need to run "update.php" or any other migration scripts.
Get the new version via Composer:
- Step 1: if you are upgrading from SMW older than 4.0.0, ensure the SMW version in
- Step 2: run composer in your MediaWiki directory:
composer update --no-dev --optimize-autoloader
Get the new version via Git:
This is only for those that have installed SMW via Git.
- Step 1: do a
git pullin the SemanticMediaWiki directory
- Step 2: run
composer update --no-dev --optimize-autoloaderin the MediaWiki directory
Semantic MediaWiki hosting
- New extension: Wikibase Export
- Semantic MediaWiki 4.1.0 released
- Embedding External Content in MediaWiki
- SMWCon 2021
- WikidataCon 2021
- Best Responsive MediaWiki Skins
- Medik MediaWiki Skin
- Happy 20th Anniversary Wikipedia
- Semantic MediaWiki 3.2
- Local Media Support for Wikibase
- Chameleon MediaWiki Skin
- Foreground MediaWiki Skin
- Pivot MediaWiki Skin
- Tweeki MediaWiki Skin
- Semantic Wikibase Released
- Visualizing Links Between Pages
- MediaWiki Survey
- SMW vs Wikibase vs Cargo
- Using Wikidata in Your Wiki
- Visual Map Editor for MediaWiki
- WikidataCon 2019 Berlin
- Installing Extensions with Composer
- SMWCon 2019 Paris